This article was published on February 4th, 2013
Heading out for a run includes more than just throwing on a pair of those old running shoes you have kicking around at the back of the shoe closet. Having the right running gear is important. It can improve your speed, efficiency, comfort and overall performance.
Here are ten essential pieces of running gear for long distance runners:
- Running Shoes. Shoes are the most important piece of running gear to invest in. It’s important to have a gait analysis from a qualified shoe retailer specializing in long distance running.
- Shorts. Select a pair that are comfortable. Ones with built-in liners have less friction and are usually lighter weight.
- Tights. There are a variety of types and styles, from light-weight to insulated for cold weather running. If you’re running at night, select a pair with reflective tape.
- Shirt. Technical shirts are required. Shirts help keep moisture off the body and cool during long or short-fast runs. Short sleeve for warm days, long sleeves for cooler weather. Choose bright colours to stand out.
- Socks. Cotton is rotten! Cotton socks cause blisters very quickly. Technical running socks wick away moisture and keep feet cool and dry.
- Hydration Belt. Carrying water and electrolytes is essential for long distance running. To keep your hands free and to keep valuables including identification, cash/credit cards, and even your cell phone, invest in a top quality hydration belt.
- Gloves. Hands get cold easily. Keep warm for early morning and evening runs. During the rain, keep your hands dry with sanitary plastic disposable gloves.
- Head Lamp. In the winter months, it’s dark out. Keep yourself and the path visible with a head lamp. For added visibility, use reflective bands on your arms and legs, and a red flashing light on your back.
- Hat. In hotter weather, rain and colder runs, a hat is essential. A technical running hat can keep you warmer, dry, and wick away moisture.
- GPS Watch. Running watches with a heart-rate monitor can track your performance, distance, route, speed, heart rate, and calories burned. It’s an essential tool to transition from a beginner to serious runner.
The Running Room has a great selection of running gear from a variety of the top running gear manufacturers including their own Running Room brand, Saucony, Nike, North Face, Garmin and more. Their staff are trained to help you select the right shoes, clothing and accessories to fit you and your budget.