This article was published on June 19th, 2013
Seems some guys have a hard time understanding basic first-date etiquette. There are many things that can make a first date go wrong. Here are 10 you should avoid doing on a first date. If you can avoid these easy mistakes, it should increase your changes of getting a second date. Happy dating!
- It’s not cool to talk about your ex or past failed relationships. It’s not relevant. You’re supposed to be discovering new connections, not scaring them off by talking about your mistakes.
- You probably don’t want to get so drunk that you start slurring your words or miss parts of the conversation.
- Make sure you wear clean, fresh underwear. You never know how your date might end. You don’t want to caught with dirty underwear, unless that’s your into that kind of thing.
- Avoid spinach and broccoli. It can get stuck in your teeth and will pretty much eliminate any chance of getting a goodnight kiss at the end of the date.
- No farting! If you have bad gas, maybe reschedule that date or end it early. It’s not a good first impression and likely won’t lead to a second date.
- If you’re a smoker, you probably don’t want to have a cigarette before or during your date. You should mention that you’re a smoker, just don’t do it. Smoking is not really socially acceptable any more.
- When the bill comes, don’t expect that the other person is paying or split the bill down the centre. Insist that you each pay for your own portion of the bill.
- Unless you’re having an outbreak and the date is about to head into the bedroom, you probably don’t want to mention if you have herpes. If it does go there, you obligated disclose your medical history first! You have a responsibility to tell your partner if you have any communicable diseases or infections.
- If you’re at a bar and the hockey game is on, don’t spend the entire time watching the game, unless you agreed to go on a date to watch the game.
- There’s no excuse to text, tweet, or make phone calls. Well, there are two exceptions – either the date sucks and you want to end it early, or the person has got up to use the washroom, then it’s socially ok to do a quick check, but put the phone away as soon as they are back.