This article was published on June 9th, 2014
Marathon runners are an interesting breed of people. They love the physical challenges they put their bodies through. All that training and all those races can be less-than-desirable, especially in the dating scene. Before you decide you want to start dating a marathoner, there are important things you need to know:
- Sleep is important. Late nights and sleeping in on weekends doesn’t exist because races and training runs always happen early in the morning. Plus sleep is critical for the body to recover. Oh, and Sunday afternoon naps are essential!
- Massages are expected. Tired, sore and aching muscles need attention, especially after long runs and races. Make sure you have lots of massage oil handy.
- Running is disguising. Check your foot fetish at the door; marathon runners run more than 50km/week and their feet are gross, especially for 6-8 weeks after a race. Don’t be surprised if you get hot, sweaty, salty hugs and kisses too.
- No more dieting. Fueling the body happens constantly and both beer and desserts happen all the time. You’d better like pasta too, because carb-loading happens every Friday and Saturday for dinner to be fueled up for Sunday’s long run or race.
- Race day support. You are required to show up for every single race, holding signs, packing gear, taking photos, and being at the finish line with warm, dry clothes.
- Pretend to be interested. Even if you don’t understand the differences between Honey Stingers, GuGel and PowerGel, they are far from being the same. Marathon runners can talk for hours on the subject of gel, hill training, or how great it is to run on a cool, damp, overcast morning.
- Running paraphernalia is everywhere. There will be a drawer full of race bibs, medals, and route maps, warm-up gear will be slumped over the chair, fuel belt bottles will be tossed in the sink and gels, protein bars and bananas will litter the counter.
- Shoes are important. Not just one or two pairs, but an entire shoe rack will be dedicated for various types of shoes, from neutral to pronation to minimal, old to new, and in all different colours; each one has a reason and purpose. Don’t mess with the shoes!
- Gifts are easy. Come Christmas or birthday, or just because, gifts of pedicures, running shorts, running shoes, massages or foam rollers are all appreciated!
- Sunday brunch always happens. Whether you like it or not, there will always be Sunday brunch, which will be at least one-and-a-half entrées. Don’t worry if you can’t finish your own, your marathon runner will be happy to help you graze away till every morsel is devoured.