This article was published on April 4th, 2015
Everyone knows someone who is gay. A brother, cousin, co-worker, or neighbour. Unless you are best friends, there are just some things you should never say to a gay man. Here are the top six things you should not say, unless you’re best friends, of course, but then these things go without saying.
- “I have the perfect guy for you”. This is what every straight person says to every gay man. Just because you know someone else who is gay, doesn’t mean that it’s going to be a match made in heaven. Gay relationships and matchmaking is just as complicated as choosing an outfit to wear out on Saturday night. It’s not easy!
- “OMG, I love going to gay bars!” Yes, it is true, gay bars are awesome! Gay bars play the best music, have super hot guys who know how to dress and style themselves, and are full of people who can dance just as fierce as Jennifer Lopez. Hot go-go dancers and foul-mouthed drag queens take the club over-the-top to the point of craziness. That and there’s flowing vodka everywhere! But they are gay bars because they are full of gay men and gay culture. Don’t spoil it every weekend.
- “Have you ever been with a girl?” Honey, no one is asking you for your sexual history, and you certainly don’t have the right to ask about ours, unless you’re going to tell us about your crazy days in college drinking tequila and the games you played in your dorm room, or that time when you thought you would experiment when you did a little too much Molly. Past sexual experiences are in the past for a reason… unless we want to talk about them, leave it alone. Gay today, and that’s all you need to know.
- “Can you help plan my wedding?” No, I am gay, but that doesn’t mean that I’m an expert event planner, and I certainly don’t want you blaming me for the most important day of your life. #Bridezilla
- “You’re just like one of the girls!” OK, being gay doesn’t mean that you’re automatically feminine or not into doing guy things. It just means that one man is sexually attracted to another. Do you want to come to a football game and drink beer?
- “You totally need to take me shopping.” Yes, most gay men have an incredible sense of style. After all, they didn’t spend all that time in the closet doing nothing! While most gay men can coordinate and assemble an outfit for any occasion, even on a shoe-string budget, and still look like a million dollars, doesn’t mean that we are all experts in women’s fashion. Isn’t that what your girlfriends and fashion magazines are for?