This article was published on April 22nd, 2015
Circuit parties are a huge part of gay culture. If you’ve never been to once, it’s definitely an experience you should try at least once in your lifetime. It is an event unlike anything else you have ever seen before. Circuit parties are weekend long series of events, attracting thousands of gay men, with a huge finale party on Sunday afternoon. It’s today’s answer for gay men to rave events of the 90’s. To give you a better understanding of what it’s all about, here are 8 things you need to know before you go to a circuit party:
- Circuit parties typically attract middle class gay white men, 30-55 year old. The tickets aren’t cheap, nor are the hotels, shoes, clothing and other accoutrements. It’s why you don’t see many young guys there, unless they are with guys 10+ years their age.
- These kind of events revolve around dancing all night long, meeting new people, hanging out with friends, drinking copious amounts of alcohol, dancing with hot shirtless men, and engaging in a lot of sex.
- Parties are hosted on beaches, at pools, and in cool large indoor venues, that have been carefully decorated with elaborate themes, lights and stages. The majority of the space is dedicated to the dance floor.
- The events are centered around music. There are multiple DJ’s that play at each event. There can be multiple events each day. A DJ rarely plays more than one event the entire weekend.
- A perfect body is not required! While ‘circuit party boys’ have an easily recognizable, hairless, and tanned gym body, most guys do work hard in the months and weeks leading up to a circuit party to get toned and in shape. After all, within an hour or two of dancing your shirt is guaranteed to come off.
- There are usually live performances by drag queens, go-go dancers, and other entertainers.
- Glow sticks, flashing lights, sequins, and anything that illuminates under black lighting are required clothing options.
- You will be judged by the shoes you wear. Hightops are a must, especially Adidas and Nike.
Circuit parties are not all about sex and drugs, but it is pretty empowering to flaunt your body among thousands of hot, sweaty gay men. It’s more than just a party. It’s about sharing the entire experience with other people and celebrating gay culture.