This article was published on May 30th, 2015
This year marks the 45th anniversary of LA Pride, the oldest gay pride parade in the world, and there is an incredible line-up of performers, entertainment, and activities. Held June 12-14 in West Hollywood, California, LA Pride 2015 is going to be an amazing celebration!
These are the top 10 things you need to know about LA Pride ’45:
- LA Pride Parade: The LA Pride Parade was the very first pride parade in the world. Today, it’s a star-studded event including well-known celebrity drag queens, activists, singers, movie stars, comedians and friends of the LGBT community. The parade has seen over 400,000 people lining the streets of West Hollywood to see the over-the-top costumes, floats, bands, and other parade entries. The colourful parade includes local dignitaries and politicians, not-for-profit organizations, celebrities, sports groups, entertainers and support from large corporations. The LA Pride Parade takes place on Sunday, June 14. The parade at kicks off at 11:00am down Santa Monica Blvd., and has a special moment of silence at 12:00pm.
- Ke$ha: Get ready for pop superstar, Ke$ha, performing Saturday night at 10:00pm on the main stage. The high-energy, headline performer, best known for her hit songs Tik Tok, Love Is My Drug, We R Who We R, and Timber, will be performance not to miss. Ke$ha has had eight consecutive Top 10 hits and four #1 singles.
- Thunder Ground returns: The glory days of disco return to the LA Pride Festival for the second year in a row. VIP Experience pass holders (21 and up), can lace up a pair of roller-skates and enjoy a skate under the giant disco balls. There is a family skate on Saturday, June 13 from 12:00pm – 2:00pm. You can either bring your own skates or get a rental pair, which are included in the general ticket price.
- Get the VIP Experience! While there are plenty of entertainment options at the LA Pride Festival in West Hollywood Park throughout the weekend, you really need to upgrade to the VIP experience to gain access to the special 10,000 square foot area. Here, VIP pass holders get fast-pass festival entry, access to the private and up-close main stage viewing deck, experience Thunder Ground the entire weekend, specialty bars and food vendors, and other upgraded amenities. There are a limited number of VIP Experience tickets. They are $50 / day, or $100 for the weekend pass, if purchased in advance, or $65 / day at the door
- Wilson Phillips: Hold On, Release Me, and You’re In Love, are just a few of the many hits songs from Wilson Phillips 25+ music career. You won’t want to miss this main stage performance Saturday evening at 6:30pm.
- Ty Herndon: For the first time in LA Pride ‘s 45 year history, country music will be performed on the main stage, by none other than openly gay country music star, Ty Herndon. Throughout his two decade long career Ty Herndon has pumped out 20 Billboard chart songs and sold over 5 million albums! Ty Herdon will be performing on the main stage Sunday evening at 6:30pm.
- Luciana: Know to many as the queen of electro, Luciana is a crowd favourite at any pride event with songs including Yeah Yeah, I Like That, and I’m Still Hot. She puts on an incredible show. She’ll be on the main stage at 4:30pm on Sunday, June 14.
- Dress to impress: Pack your high tops, sunglasses, tank tops and sunscreen! It’s LA and it’s going to be hot and sunny. You’ll want to look your best for the thousands of gay men you’ll be surrounded with. You can really get into the LA Pride spirit by picking up some hot merch from their online store; you’ll fit in beautifully! You probably won’t be wearing your shirt for long anyway, so make sure you pack light!
- Be camera ready: This is LA, and you never know what friend, celebrity, porn star, social influencer, TV personality, Hollywood actor, musician, or crazy-fun moment you’ll come across. Have your smartphone camera ready and be sure to post your photos on Instagram and Twitter, tagging both @LAPride and #LAPride45.
- Love everyone: There will be leather daddy bears, cute twinks, over-the-top drag queens, muscle-clad jocks, drama queens, proud transsexuals, liberated lesbians, bigoted protesters, shirtless women, fun-loving bisexuals, innocent gay-friendly kids, generous volunteers, law-enforcing policemen, and everyone in-between. Enjoy and celebrate the diversity, be welcome and open, and embrace the spirit and magic of LA Pride ’45!
For more information about LA Pride, and to purchase tickets for the LA Pride Festival, visit www.LAPride.org.