This article was published on August 15th, 2015
There’s no secret about it, gay men know how to dress. Whether it’s a formal black-tie reception, a day on the boat, or a full weekend of circuit parties, having the right outfit doesn’t come as pure luck or coincidence. Most gay men take fashion seriously and they put in a lot of effort when selecting an outfit. Here are 8 tips that you need to know to put together a fabulous outfit for your next event:
- Do some research on the event. Find of what type of attire is suitable for the event. Often, events have themes, styles, motifs, or colour palettes. This should all be taken under consideration when planning your outfit. You can always contact the host of the event if you need additional information on attire.
- Consult with friends. If you’re going to the event with one or more friends, discuss your outfit options in advance so you can coordinate, to make sure everyone is dressed appropriately, and within the theme.
- Learn from the past. If it’s an annual event, like Pride, a circuit party, or fundraising gala, check the website for photo galleries from previous years to see what people where wearing. You may get some ideas for your own outfit. Also check for other similar events to see what would be appropriate.
- Take inventory. Consider what items you already own that can be repurposed for a fresh, new outfit. You can’t wear the same outfit over and over, so you may need to borrow pieces from a number out outfits to being creating a new one.
- Borrow. The best thing about friends is being able to share and borrow each others clothing, especially when it comes to special events. Sometimes something as simple as an accessory or slightly different cut of shirt can make all the different, without having to break the bank.
- Stock up. When you’re out shopping, look at sale racks for unusual and unique items. You might find a piece that really catches your eye. That one treasured piece could be the beginning of a whole new future outfit. In the meantime, get it and hang it in the closet until you have the perfect event to built a complete outfit out of it.
- Stand out. It’s fun to be bold and be a cause of conversation. Do it with style, elegance, and pride.
- Customize. Don’t settle for something off the rack. Grab the scissors, glue, needle and thread, and whatever else you have from your grandmothers sewing basket and start creating your own original clothing. There’s no right or wrong way of doing it. Just get creative and have fun!
Before you head out the door for your big night out, stop and take a look in front of a full length mirror. You may need to make some last minute adjustments, like changing an accessory, adding a scarf, or rolling up your sleeves. If you’re still in doubt, as a friend, or send a selfie to your peeps and get their opinion. When you walk out the door, you know you’ll be ready with an impressive outfit that people will admire and appreciate.