This article was published on November 3rd, 2015
In recognition of National Sandwich Day, we’re put together a spotlight on some of the most popular sandwiches that should be on your personal menu. These are tried and true menu items found in most restaurants, prepared the traditional way, or sometimes with a local fusion flare.
- The hamburger. Traditionally ground chuck cooked on a flame grill, served on a toasted bun, usually with cheese, ketchup, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, and pickle. Tons of variations exist. Always a solid choice.
- Pulled Pork. There are many places across America that claim to have the best barbeque in the world, but in fact, the style ranges across the regions. In Kansas there are sweet honey-smoke sauces. The Carolina’s are known for vinegar and mustard based sauces. In Texas, where brisket in most popular, is a tangy sauce. Over in Memphis, well, barbeque is a way of life. No matter what style or flavour you prefer, nothing beats a pulled pork sandwich topped with come homemade ‘slaw.
- Philly Cheese Steak. Well cooked beef from the flattop grill, served up on a deli roll, and smothered with peppers, onions, oil, vinegar, and loads of cheese! The true debate is whether to go with melted provolone, cheddar, or with Cheese Whiz.
- Chicken Sandwhich. A crispy fried chicken breast topped with shredded lettuce, mayo, tomato, and ketchup, served on a toasted bun. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
- PB&J. The traditional peanut butter and jam sandwich goes back to the simple and fun days of being a kid. It never goes out of style. Today’s chef’s are taking the tradition to a whole new level by adding potato chips, pickles, honey, banana’s, and other great items to the timeless classic.
However you choose to celebrate National Sandwich Day, Bon Appetit!
What’s your favourite sandwich? Had anything crazy or something that makes your mouth water? We want to hear about it in the comments below!