This article was published on October 27th, 2016
You’ve wanted to get back into shape for a while, but you’ve lacked motivation. It’s a common challenge many people face. Fad diets won’t help you get into shape, and you’ll fail fast at them. Going for walks after dinner aren’t cutting it either. What you need are six easy ways you can get into shape that aren’t going to ruin your life, but still make it possible. With these tips, you’ll be on your way to a whole new you!
- Get to the gym. The gym is not a prison, it’s your friend. Create a gym schedule where do target a different area of the body each time you go. This will set you up for maximum success. Your routine should be broken down into categories of upper body, lower body, core, cardio, and full body.
- Make healthy diet choices. Get away from comfort foods like pizza and hamburgers, and start to enjoy fresh, healthy options. Being on a diet isn’t just eating salad. For example, at breakfast have a whole grain wrap with peanut butter and a banana, for lunch a low-fat egg salad sandwich with some fresh vegetables and hummus, and for dinner a boneless skinless chicken breast with steamed vegetables and brown rice. Filling, fueling, and hearty!
- Don’t just have three meals a day. Late night snacking on chips and candy comes from not eating wisely throughout the day. It’s important to have snacks between meals, like apples, almonds, low-fat cottage cheese, hardboiled eggs, and celery and peanut butter.
- 80/20 rule. A strict diet increases the chance of failure. You will have cravings and you will cheat, especially when you make it a long-term lifestyle change. For maximum success, long term, adopt the 80/20 rule; 80% of the time you stick to your diet, while allowing yourself to indulge 20% of the time. This is where a Saturday cheat meal comes in handy. Stick to your diet Sunday through Friday, but allow yourself to indulge a bit on Saturday. It’ll help curb your cravings, keep you satisfied, and appreciate those cheat days even more.
- Start today. Stop putting it off. The only way you’re going to make real change is if you do it today. Get off the computer and get to the gym right now. Stop making excuses. You don’t need to wait for a holiday, birthday, season, or New Year’s as a starting point. Today is your day to start. Do it now.
- Avoid temptations. If you have a hard time staying focused, it’s best to avoid the situation all together. Set yourself up for success, not failure. If you’re headed out for dinner with a friend, suggest a restaurant where you can get healthy choices; order a salad instead of fries, or have a club soda with a fresh squeeze of citrus over an alcoholic beverage. Every calorie counts!
Do you have a trick that has worked for you? Leave your suggestions, ideas, and ways that you’ve been able to fight the battle of the bulge in the comments below.