Sex toys and their popularity across the states. Bespoke Surgical reviewed the Google Shopping trends across the United States and Canada, and the results are interesting. The popularity of sex toys has exploded over the last few years, and now there are graphic maps that show the popularity of certain sex toys state by state based on data from Google Shopping search requests. It’s time to expound on, and let the butt plugs, dildos, and nipple clamps fall where they may!
It’s interesting to see how various regions and states stack up against one another – who had any idea the popularity of butt plugs all the way up there in Alaska?! The findings were quite insightful:
- Vibrators and dildos are the most popular of sex toys overall, in regards to the most states having it as the top-rated search item
- In the Canadian provinces, Nova Scotia, Alberta, and New Brunswick led in vibrator sales, while Saskatchewan and New Brunswick leading in dildo purchases.
Perhaps we have been re-watching too many episodes of Sex and The City, but those vibrators that go throb in the night are one of the most coveted sex toys nationwide. Coming in a variety of shapes and sizes, these electric-powered devices are specially designed to pulsate and stimulate the erogenous zones, including the clitoris, vulva, penis, anus, and more. Dildos similarly are used for both anal or vaginal penetration and are available in just about any size and shape imaginable. And let’s not forget textures.
- Butt plugs and bondage gear are tied for 3rd place as the most popular toy with 9 states
- British Columbia reigned supreme with bondage gear sales, with Alberta and Saskatchewan posting top cock ring sales.
Tied for 3rd place in the United States as the most popular sex toys are butt plugs and bondage gear. Butt plugs are inserted into the anus for sexual pleasure and although similar to a dildo, are generally shorter in length and are flanged to prevent – ahem – being lost inside the hole.
- In 4 states, including New York and California, strap-ons are the #1 choice
- In Newfoundland & Labrador and Ontario, strap-ons are the top choice
Strap-ons are also trending, which only means that those Fifty Shades of Grey movies made more of an impact that previously thought.
These findings have caused debate in the LGBT community and whether or not shopping behaviors are dictated by the state and/or surrounding cultural mores. With online sales exponentially growing and more privacy and security when purchasing sex toys, now it really is possible to buy them in complete secrecy which is arguably one of the reasons for the increase in sales of private pleasure items.