This article was published on June 6th, 2018
Dating isn’t always easy. In any healthy relationship, there is a realistic expectation for a lot of compromise to occur between the two of you. But knowing how and when to compromise isn’t always easy. If you want to stay sane and stay in the same relationship with someone, here are 6 rules to follow in order to ensure the best compromise in your relationship.
- Give a little, get a lot in return. You don’t have to adjust your morals, wants, or needs, but try being more flexible with how dependent you are on these. No one is perfect, and sometimes your expectation bar is set so high, it is hard for your partner to meet you halfway. Try bending a little and not being so rigid in your demands. You’ll find that by giving a little, you’ll get a lot in return as your boyfriend tries to do the same.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up and stand up for what you want. You’ll never be happy compromising if you are sacrificing something vitally important to your life. You can still compromise without giving up a part of you or something about you that you cherish.
- Be honest with yourself about what you want. If you can’t be real with yourself, how the hell are you gonna be real with your partner. Admitting the issues you want to stand by can help you see whether or not they are truly special to you or whether or not you’re able to bend a bit.
- Accept that change is inevitable. The one constant in life is that everything eventually changes. Don’t be surprised if this applies to you or your partner. Whether or not you accept these changes is up to you, but at least you won’t be so blindsided or dumbfounded when either of you does change.
- Be accepting. Sometimes, people can’t always meet you in the middle. If this is the case, try and find a middle ground for you both to compromise or at least a level that you can feel satisfied with. You don’t have to accept people’s faults, but you might have to accept the fact that not everyone is like you and can handle the things you are able to deal with and compromise on.
- Adhere to the bridge you’ve built. Once you’ve come to an agreement or compromise with your partner, it is important that you hold true to this. It’s hard enough for people to compromise as it is, and once you’ve established a solid agreement, it is essential that you stick to this plan. It’s the best way to show your partner that you heard them, you are willing to compromise, and that you care about them enough to want to adhere to it.
What are some ways (humorous and serious) that you have compromised in your relationships?