This article was published on November 18th, 2018
When you’re on holiday, hopefully you’ll be able to see new cultures, explore new places, and take in new experiences without incident. But sometimes life supersedes plans. Weather happens, sickness happens, strikes and protests happen, and events and plans sometimes get derailed. One of the worst things to occur when vacationing is an abrupt change in itinerary or straight up cancellation. Don’t be caught with your pants down when on your gaycation—get travel insurance. And here’s why.
- For the unforeseen. Travel insurance is there for you when situations arise that are out of your hands or unpredictable. No one can plan things like tire blowouts, theft, vandalism, lost luggage, a death in the family, or other unforeseeable issues.
- For the coverage. When these situations do come up, you won’t lose your shirt in lost money. Life happens, but losing money is just a shitty feeling on top of taking care of whatever forced you to use your travel insurance. Like using a condom and taking Prep: protect yourself to guarantee you don’t have to worry about anything down the road.
- Because it’s cheap. Most gaycations fun from several hundred to several thousands of dollars. Imagine investing hours of time and research into planning and preparing for the perfect holiday, only to have something traumatic happen preventing you from going…thus losing your money on a vacation you didn’t even get to go on. Now that thought is truly heartbreaking. Most travel insurance is offered at a fraction of the total expense amount of a trip and can cover a lot of expenses and areas.
- For the peace of mind. 95% of the time, you’re not going to ever need to dip into your travel insurance. But isn’t it comforting knowing that you’re covered in case of an emergency? Being able to have that safety net for those “just-in-case” situations is almost worth the cost of the altogether. Peace of mind means a more enjoyable holiday experience.
- For those extras. Sometimes you’re on holiday and you want to splurge and buy a bunch of stuff. Or you want to extend you stay. Or get reimbursed for those incidentals you hadn’t thought about. Or when you want to go to the doctor or hospital without fear of outrageous bills at the end. Travel insurance is like a parachute of protection against the little extras in life that rear their ugly heads.
Next time you plan your perfect travel experience, consider getting travel insurance to cover your holiday. You’ll be glad you did.