This article was published on March 3rd, 2019
You’ve had it up to here: with work, with friends, with your personal world, with everything! You can barely focus on your professional life and find your personal life is waning, dismal, or non-existent. Bitch, stop what you are doing right now and end this little pity party for one. If you’re feeling down and out in Beverly Hills and like you are just needing a break from the world, don’t go over the deep end.
You may not realize it, but if you’re feeling burned out from everything, then it’s time to consider treating yourself to a holiday—even if it’s just a short getaway. Here are 10 signs you need to take a gaycation to revitalize your life:
- You’re angrier than Miranda Priestley on a bad day. All the time. Take a GD chill pill, honey, in the shape of a glorious gaykay. If you find yourself taking out your anger and frustrations out on coworkers, family, friends, your lover, or inanimate objects around the office or at home, then it’s either time to seek therapy or self-medicate by taking a much-needed vacation.
- You’re tired all the time. If you’re not used to being Eeyore from Pooh of your group of friends and are suffering from consistent low energy, it might be time for you to head to a holiday some place gay. Exhaustion can be indicative of a workaholic life that yearns for an escape. Lethargy is not cute and can be a sign you need a voyage in your life.
- You’ve always dreamed of traveling, but never have. Honeybear—you only get one damned life! If you have never traveled and have always wanted to, ask yourself: what the hell is holding you back? If you died tomorrow and spent your whole life working, you would regret never seeing some of the places you’ve always dreamed of.
- You haven’t been away for a significant amount of time in a long time. If it’s been 3, 5, or even 10 years since you went on a vacation, you’re overdue for a break from reality. A trip is an exciting, exhilarating, and a great way to kickstart your life onto a new, different track. The best education available is traveling and seeing the world. If it’s been too long since you’ve traveled, it’s time to pack your bags and dig out that passport.
- You’re stressed all the time. Work and life can be very fucking stressful. Adulting is not an easy pill to swallow sometimes and life can be very overwhelming with the number of items in our lives that we constantly juggle. Too much stress is very detrimental to your health and can lead to heart disease, stroke, anxiety, sleeplessness, and a myriad of other health-related issues. Bite that stress in the butt by booking a gaycation to relax, destress, and recharge your batteries.
- Sadness permeates nearly every situation in your life. If you are typically a happy person or someone who typically lives with more joy and an upbeat attitude higher than Daria’s on the happiness Richter scale, and are now feeling sad all the time, then something’s gotta give. Permanent sadness can be indicative of onset depression. While a counselor may be what you need to seek out if you truly are depressed, a temporary cure for your sadness can be a hot little holiday away.
- You’ve got a diminished sex drive. A lot of gay men are just simply horny bastards. But if you’ve noticed a recent decrease in the sex drive department, you may be dealing with stresses and anxieties subliminally. A gorgeous gaycation to a warm, sunny, tropical location can mean you returning rocking a titillating tan, having had hot rendezvous with some of the sexy locals. If you’re not feeling as sexy or feeling like your sex life has diminished, a trip could be just the thing to recharge your batteries and get you back into the sexual swing of things.
- All you do is work work work work work, Rihanna. If your work life has trickled so much into your personal life that you have a hard time distinguishing between the two. Or, if you are so overwhelmed from working all the time that you are about to burn out—don’t. You should work to live, not live to work. Remember that and then book yourself a trip away. Unplug, unlock, and unwind with a gaycation away from your work life.
- Your personal relationships are struggling. Sometimes, when life seems too much or overbearing, we let the negativity seep into our personal lives and relationships with our friends, family, and loved ones. If your personal relationships are floundering, it might be the time to ask yourself if you need a break from your reality. Family, friends, and relationships are some of the most important factors in your life that do need nurturing and fulfillment. You might need a vacation if you find your closest relationships to you waning.
- You keep making mistakes in your life. Your current worst mistake may be that you haven’t taken a break and a good gaycation in a while. If you find yourself constantly making mistakes or unable to process decisions as clearly and concisely, then it might be time to head for the hills and get out of town. Stress, fatigue, negativity, and a lack of desire can lead you to make bad, sad, and tragic mistakes and poor choices in your life. One choice you will never regret is the decision to say “F-it!”, grab your passport, and venture out into this green world in search of yourself and new experiences.
Traveling is the single greatest gift you can ever receive from yourself. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, you might want to consider booking yourself a trip. Even if it is just a weekend away. You’ll be surprised at how much good can actually come to you from taking a break from it all with a solid gaycation away from it all!