This article was published on February 3rd, 2023
As the month of February begins, we start to see a slow end to the long winter days. With all the holiday decorations now fully removed and festive parties for the new year at a close, the days can go back to feeling dreary up until the start of spring. Mixing up a cocktail like the Sugar Plum Sidecar reminds us of those warm holiday nights that already feel like they were months ago. That doesn’t mean you still can’t carry some of that festive spirit with you as we move closer to spring!
To help you push through these last few weeks of winter, here’s a list of ideas to keep yourself upbeat!
- Snack on some Citrus! Much like the Sugar Plum Sidecar cocktail featured this week, oranges and citrus-based foods are uplifting and bright! That punch of vitamin D is naturally energizing and will give you a fabulous boost of energy. Oranges, grapefruits, and even some lemon in your water can give you the zip you need.
- Hit the gym! If you’re someone who made that new year’s resolution to hit the gym more often, check in on yourself and keep it up! Regular exercise isn’t beneficial to your figure alone. It can help with fatigue, improve your quality of sleep, and overall get the endorphins rushing again. That beach body is just a bonus!
- Take a trip! If it’s within your means, a vacation can get your mind off of the dreary drudge of winter. Putting yourself in a new location with fun and exciting things to do will certainly lift your spirits and offer up new experiences. Plus, it’ll give you some good social media content during the slow seasons. If you can’t go far, see what’s local to you. Find a town you’ve never thought to visit and see if they have any cafes or brunch spots; you might even find a new favorite!
- Self-Care / Spa day! Listen, it doesn’t matter how masc you are; give a good face mask a shot. Even if you’re alone in your apartment, just do it! Once you’re done, your skin will feel clean and refreshed. It’s an instant mood lift, and it’s not without its benefits. Clearer skin can help boost your confidence. With Valentine’s Day around the corner, surely you’d want to look your best. (While we’re at it, please ditch the 3-in-1 shower gels!)
- Buy a plant! We all know gays love bringing in plants that may or may not survive the season, but for the gay with a green thumb, bringing in some greenery uplifts any living space. Even silk plants can do a lot for your space. Being surrounded by lush greenery gives us a sense of the outside, of life, and of warmth. So even if they’re fake, it doesn’t hurt to hang up some green ivy leaves on the wall. (Please note that if you do decide to buy real plants, if you have any cats or dogs, make sure they aren’t toxic to your furry little babies!)
Just because the weather is dark, cold, and dreary doesn’t mean we have to be! Finding ways to brighten up your day, whether it’s the Sugar Plum Sidecar, a citrus-packed cocktail, hitting the gym, or giving yourself some self-care, will have you up and ready for the upcoming Spring!
Here’s how to make the Sugar Plum Sidecar:
- 2 oz plum brandy
- 1 ½ oz orange liqueur
- 1 ½ oz lemon juice
Shake with ice. Strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with sugared cranberries.
Enjoy and drink responsibly.