This article was published on April 18th, 2015
There are many things that gay men need to stop doing, but instead of focusing on the negative, and perhaps the things we either can’t change, or are out of our control, it’s time to embrace the things we can do to make our lives a whole lot better. These are just a few of the things gay men need to start doing, immediately, to be healthier, more realistic, and to help build a better community.
- Be yourself. No matter what other people say, always stick to your ethics and morals. Never bend because of peer pressure. Be authentic, real, and true to you. Surround yourself with people and things that boost your self-confidence. You deserve it!
- Dress appropriately. As the years go by, you wardrobe should be saying bye-bye. While no one expects you to have a closet full of the latest and most expensive fashions, you should be dressing appropriately for your age, and your body type.
- Accept everyone. The LGBT community has be begging for equality rights for decades, and as those rights are slowly being granted, we are our own worst enemy of discrimination and racism within the gay community. Way too many gay men judge against each other because of their culture, skin colour, ethnic background, religion, clothing style, or other ridiculous reasons. We’re a diverse and colourful community; embrace it!
- Meet Mr. Right Now. Clearly holding out for Mr. Right hasn’t been working, so instead of waiting for your prince to come along, ask a few guys you already know, or guys you think maybe aren’t quite your type, out on a date. You’ll be surprised. At the least, you’ll make some new connections and get to know more about the other guys in your community.
- Quit slut shaming. Some people are more sexually active and have more sexual partners than you. There’s nothing wrong with that. For some people, sex is sacred, and for others, it’s pleasure. Each person has their own comfort level and express their sexuality in their own way.
- Get tested regularly. Knowing your status is incredibly important. Even if you don’t have a lot of sexual partners, or if you think you are in a monogamous relationship, you still need to protect yourself and stay on top of it. Partners cheat. You can’t look at someone and tell if they are HIV positive detectable. Your partner might not have been recently tested. Condoms aren’t always used.
- Put your phone away. If you’re out at a club, restaurant, or coffee shop, instead of staring at your phone, enjoy some real face time with real people. Put your phone on DND and into your pocket and try have a undistracted social experience, either with friends, or meeting new people. You’ll be amazed. It’ll be like experiencing the world pre-mobile. You’ll love it! #OldSchool
- Clean up your act. It’s time to put away the drugs and stop smoking. Both are completely unhealthy and turn-offs for most guys. Instead, get together with a hand-crafted cocktail or a nice bottle of wine. You’ll be a lot more classier.
What other ideas do you have that gay men need to start doing immediately, to improve themselves and the LGBT community. Leave your answers in the comment box below.